Amir Mehran, M.D., FACS, FASMBS, is a board-certified general and bariatric surgeon practicing in Thousand Oaks, California. Dr. Mehran’s career in modern bariatric surgery began over a decade ago, during his fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic, where he received extensive training in minimally invasive and bariatric surgery. In 2003, he joined UCLA’s newly formed Bariatric Surgery Program, where proper patient selection, thorough preparation, and continuing patient education were the hallmarks of successful outcomes. Dr. Mehran assumed the program’s leadership role 3 years later and under his direction; the program went on to become uniquely certified as a Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. In 2012, he left UCLA to pursue his long-standing professional goals in a setting that would further advance his vision and efforts in bariatric surgery.
Dr. Mehran received his undergraduate education at Brown University and went on to earn his medical degree from Duke University in 1994. Thereafter, he completed his surgery residency at UCSF Medical Center and St. Barnabas Medical Center in 1996 and 1999 respectively.
Through the course of his career, Dr. Mehran has served as a consultant for various regulatory agencies, surgical journals, the media, and the medical industry. In addition to being a member of multiple surgical societies, Dr. Mehran has contributed to over 160 publications and presentations and has mentored numerous fellows, residents, and medical students. Most recently, in recognition of his dedication and efforts, his peers have elected him to the Southern California Super Doctors list for four consecutive years (2010-2013).
Dr. Mehran has his own private practice, University Bariatrics in Southern California. The goal of University Bariatrics is to educate, support and help bariatric patients and possible candidates looking into weight loss surgery.
American Board of Surgery (2/2000 and recertified 12/2009)
- Co-Director, Center for Weight Loss Surgery, Los Robles Medical Center, Thousand Oaks, CA
- Bariatric & General Surgery Private Practice, University Bariatrics, Thousand Oaks, CA
- Past Director of Bariatric Surgery, UCLA Department of Surgery, Los Angeles, CA
- Past Associate Clinical Professor of Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles
- Past General Surgery Private Practice, Vascular & General Surgery Associates, Los Alamitos, CA
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS:
- ACS, ASBMS, SAGES, SSAT, PCSA, SLS, AAPP
EDITORIAL BOARDS & REVIEWER FOR:
- EMMI & 8 surgical journals
CONSULTANT & ADVISOR:
- Certification in Obesity Medical Physician (COMP) Examination
- State of California Medical Board
- Kaiser Permanente
- Federal Bureau of Investigation/ CA
- ASMBS Professional Education Committee (2010-12)
AWARDS & HONORS:
- Peer elected: Southern California Super Doctors (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
- Young Surgeons Award: Southern California ACS (2005)
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS:
- 51 journal articles, 3 book chapters/contributions, 123 invited presentations
- Interview: ABC News. How Young Is Too Young For Bariatric Surgery. June 2012
- Interview: Los Angeles Times. FDA Accuses 1800GetThin… (December 2011)
- National Public Radio Weekend Edition. Obesity in America (October 2011)
- Obesity Surgery is Family Affair. MSNBC. June 2010
- Letter to the Editor: Contemporary Surgery August 2008
- Interview: Sleeve Gastrectomy. KCBS TV. April 2008
- Guest consultant: KIRN Radio. Summer 2007 & Fall 2011
- Letter to the Editor. Brown Medicine. Spring 2007
- Guest consultant: KNX Radio. April 2006
- Letter to the Editor. Time Magazine. May 30, 2005.
For additional information on Dr. Mehran, please visit www.universitybariatrics.com.